Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Little Alfred


Interviewed several people today and here is one I thought you might appreciate.

My name is Alfred. I am 7 years old and I am in Mama Rose’s class-Standard 3. I am one of 5 children in my family. We are very poor. My father died and my mom goes every morning to the corner to get work washing clothes. Many mornings she does not get hired. I started MCC when I was two. The teachers noticed early that I had trouble walking and I fell often. Last year I became so weak that I could not walk. Mama Rose has been carrying me around the school. She is very tiny. Last week, doctors from America saw me. They say I have a disease called Muscular Dystrophy and that it is progressive. They were so kind and the visiting carpenters designed and made a beautiful wheelchair just for me. I have not been to field day for 2 years but tomorrow Mama Carroll is taking me in my new chair. She will push my chair in the races. I hope I win! God is good and he is blessing me through the visitors here!

3 comments:

  1. This is what it is all about, isn't it? I can find a wheelchair to donate if we can find someone who will pay for the shipping.
    Judie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update Carroll. I know our team will enjoy looking at this post. We had such smart men on our team who could design and make this chair. We will continue to pray for him and we hope he (and you) will do great in the race tomorrow. Love to you all.

    Beth for the NC Greene Team :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was an amazing moment being able to take part in the presentation of the chair to Alfred. Its awesome to see how thankful he is for the chair. Mark, Luke and Jessi did an amazing job creating that wheelchair. We did some amazing things while we were there but the kids did even more amazing things in our hearts! I'm sure i'm speaking for the whole team when i say that!

    ReplyDelete